Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Sad Heart

I’ve been very sad lately. I hate being like this whenever it happens, but feel even worse that I could possibly be sad during the Christmas season when it is supposed to be about giving and loving and rejoicing.

I told Neile the other day that if I were given the chance to work in children’s ministry again next year I would not. This almost breaks my heart just to think it, but to get to the point where I actually say it to someone else…well I am at a loss.

I love children. I have been babysitting since I was 11 and volunteering in church since I knew that it was a possibility. I remember working with a small group of 1st graders my senior year of college and getting so excited to plan lessons for them or figure out a way for them to experience God more fully. I remember volunteering in the nursery (my favorite) for years and looking forward to seeing those babies all week long – in fact my whole body would get antsy with anticipation.

It was because of this – this never ending love of children, to see them grow, to nurture them, to show them God’s love through me – that I started thinking that perhaps I would consider working with kids as a job. Perhaps when my degree is completed I would actually work in children’s ministry (instead of just volunteering). Right now, I do not feel that way.

I have made a commitment to the 3 yr old class this year. And yes, the kids are amazing and I love them like I have loved all of the kids I’ve ever worked with. I do not go a single Sunday without laughing with a child or enjoying a conversation about their boo boos or birthdays or other adventures. I love singing with them, learning Bible verses together, reading stories, having dinosaur fights, and coloring. Mostly though, I just love the opportunity to watch them grow, to see it in their eyes when they’ve learned something new or the pride on their face when they’ve accomplished something that only “big people” can do.

However, I am now to the point of almost dreading Sunday mornings.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you need a break from kids for awhile!!! I love this blog!!
Cheer up and enjoy your holiday!
Carrie

Nicole said...

Thanks Carrie! Unfortunately I don't think it is the kids that are the problem. There was a whole mess with schedules and training the first 2 months or so that really burned me out. So yes, I would love to work with children still, perhaps not in this environment though. I'm sure they'll be more on that as my current job is ending in May...

I will enjoy Christmas and my week long vacation!!! Merry Christmas to you.

Anonymous said...

I never check your blog because well I just always forget but I did today. Why don't you look at working with BSF. I know mom says they have a great children's ministry. I am not sure if they pay but maybe the structure and class arrangement could give you great ideas to eventually set up your own at your church. I think Reagan is going to start in 3 weeks with mom. :)

Hope you figure it out.