Friday, May 25, 2007

We have arrived

Well, we made it, although I have to admit it seems like just barely. =)

Last week was intense. Neile’s last day was Tuesday. My last day was Wednesday. We began packing on Thursday, got my car approved on its emission’s test and then packed some more on Friday, and even more packing on Saturday (although Saturday hardly counts as we took the time to get some sleep and went to a friends wedding for most of the day). We also attempted to say quick goodbyes to friends and family each of those nights. Then came moving day. Thank goodness for good friends! We managed to fit all of our junk stuff into a storage locker. There it will sit until…well, we still don’t know the answer to that one. Of course we weren’t able to complete all of our packing before the big moving day so Neile and I spent all of Monday finishing up and cleaning our apartment. Then we handed over our keys to our first home together. And wow that was just wild. The first of many I suppose.

Actually, while I was packing up the last of the boxes all that kept going through my mind was “I wonder where I will be when I open this up again?” Some days this is a big struggle for me. What is coming next? How can we plan for a future that is so completely unknown? There are definitely some things that we want to do that have been put on hold because of this uncertainty and frankly that just is hard at times. Other times it is exciting to think of this mini adventure we have entered into. It is pretty amazing that we have this opportunity to work so closely together for the summer, to do ministry together in a way we haven’t been able to before. Pretty exciting. So for now I am trying to take advantage of those times when this whole “what the heck is next?” thing is pretty exciting.

The past few days have been full days of setting up “camp” for the summer. There are 4 of us in the kitchen and it has been nonstop since we drove onto the camp property. In fact, I have been trying to get this posted and send out some emails for the past couple days, but have barely made it through the door of my apartment to my bed each night! Of course there is a lot of cleaning and disinfecting to do when the place is inhabited by animals 9 months of the year. I will try and post much more regularly and hopefully will have some fun stories to share.

The past week in a nutshell…



May have to check for more of
these
after all the crazy settles down






The beginnings of the not so fun move












So close to being done!











Giving my love to Mitchell, SD











Mitchell giving some love of its own






Meet our good friend Zach. Doesn’t say much …perhaps the cat got more than just his thumbs.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha ha Nicole...You have more gray hairs than me! You can go ahead and think it is just a light hair...but I don't think so...:)
Just think...Neile probably has more than you so there!

Thanks for the update...what sort of love is Mitchell giving in that picture...I just couldn't figure it out. Maybe a green light?

Have fun at science camp. I know you both will.

millie kate said...

WOAH! What a whirlwind. Makes me tired just to read what you've been through--can't imagine what you're feeling right now! Sounds exciting and a little unnerving...isn't that pretty much the norm though?

Exciting Japan things in the air for me...keep an eye out for more email updates!

Nicole said...

Amber - yes it is reassuring that Neile has more grays than me and yes, based on the picture it is hard to "convince" myself that it is just a light hair. Also...if you click on the picture of "Mitchell giving us love" you might be able to figure it out.

Millie - excited to hear some of what you've been up to and look forward to more...now to just get some sleep. =)